Tuesday, February 21, 2012

ColourQ #125

Hello blog world!  Every now and then I try to challenge myself to participate in on of the contests out there.  I think it helps push me to try new things, but can also be super handy when you're in a creative slump.

I found the idea for this card on Pinterest (http://pinterest.com/christinezani/) and it has really stuck with me.  My Grandparents also have a pretty significant anniversary coming up - they've been together for 60 years!!  I knew this was the card I wanted to make for them, but didn't know where to start with colors.  Enter: the ColourQ challenge.


Visit the site to learn more about what they do.  My card and a closeup of the texture are below.  As always, please forgive the pictures as I take them with my phone - but hopefully you get the idea :)


Here's one picture I added 2.24.12 that hopefully shows it with less harsh overhead lighting.  In real life the shadows don't stand out quite so much - its very quilty...


It looks like a quilt!!!  How fun!  The original inspiration can be found here: http://flourishes.org/2012/02/paper-quilting/#comments  According to the site, this is the "Ohio Star" pattern - but I am not a quilter, so don't take my word for it.

At this point I'd also like to say that the pattern/texture is not nearly as harsh in real life as it is appearing in this picture.

The site above includes instructions, but in reality this was pretty easy.  I cut four 1" squares from both the orange and green paper, then cut them in half diagonally to make eight triangles.  Instead of cutting the blue into triangles, i just cut a large square and used it as the base.  Note: This made it easier to glue down the orange/green, but if those triangles weren't perfect the blue was showing through!

I glue-taped down the triangles according to the picture, then ran the whole thing through my Big Shot with an embossing folder.  I mounted it on another grey square, stamped the verse in coordinating colors, and stuck the whole thing together.

The Green and Blue patterned paper, and the inks for the verse, are A|Muse Studio.  The ribbon and stamps are Stampin' Up.  The folder is Sizzix, though I can't find the pattern name.  The red/white/grey cardstock were just from my scrap box.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Sylvia said...

Christine, this is a wonderful card, a real paper quilt. The embossing folder just makes this card! Thanks for joining us this week at the ColourQ!

kasia c. said...

Umm....wow! This is incredible. :)
I love the quilt block you created here, the texture is fabulous.
Thanks for joining us at ColourQ this week!

Lisa Elton said...

STELLAR card Christine!!!

LeAnne said...

This is incredible! What a great card to make for your grandparents! Thanks for playing with the CQC colors this week!

Tracey McNeely said...

Love this quilted card. Fantastic!

Arielle H Gordon said...

Absolutely stunning! I really love this Christine, it's exquisite! Thanks so much for joining us at the colourQ this week!