Saturday, August 18, 2012

Spectrum Noir Markers


Stamping and paper crafting are hobbies that I really enjoy... when I'm in the right place, and I'm producing work I like :)  This has been an interesting year for me so far, and I've had difficulty getting back into working on projects or techniques.  Let's hope that some of that inner imbalance that was keeping me from my hobby has worked its way out.  Its almost Christmas Card season, after all!

(Let's be honest though, that hasn't stopped me from buying new product =) )

Anyway, today I finally had the chance (and was in the mood) to play with my newest acquisition - the whole set of 6-pack Spectrum Noir alcohol markers.  



These are the "average crafter's" version of Copic markers - similar product (thought not professional grade), similar effects/colors, a fraction of the price.  I have never colored with Copics or alcohol markers but for the odd make and take - so I spent the morning pouring over YouTube videos and instructional sites.

Here was my practice page - definitely some wins, definitely some ... opportunities to improve :) (Click to enlarge, I think)


I tried to capture the colors that I worked with along the way, especially with the grey outlines, but not all of it came through in the scan.  The Blue-Green combo of flowers is probably my favorite, but I'm a sucker for that color combo.

In the leaves of the pink and purple flower sets I definitely was not happy with the coloring.  I couldn't get the streaks to blend.  By the time I got to the blue one I was doing something I was much happier with.

The "Birthday or Bust" cat's balloon definitely bled everywhere, but I know a little more about what it takes to color in a balloon now :)  I also got to experiment with the blender pen a bit.

Overall the Spectrum Noirs were pretty cool. I'd like to get some further lessons in blending, and how better to use white space - but that's for another day!

No comments: