Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving in England

Well we didn't get the day off from classes, but we did get dinner! Celebrating Thanksgiving in England was a little different, but the staff did what they could to help us feel at home. Namely, we got an all-out Thanksgiving feast! It was nothing like a good old family dinner, but we got Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Cranberry, Stuffing - and Pumpkin Pie and Apple Crisp for dessert. Good food with good people.

It all felt a bit off though... After all, we were giving thanks that America's ancestors disliked Britain so much that they had to leave. And yet here we were, interested in Britain enough that we had to come - and stay an entire a semester! It definitely put the Holiday in a new context.

But speaking of doing things to make the day seem special - they lite the Great Hall fireplace for the first time this year! It was very nice, and thankfully warm! It helped set the mood.

And for a little taste of home, I made sure (with another Wisconsinite) to find the Packer Game on TV! That's right, we watched the Packers hand it to the Lions in Real-Time.

As was expected (duh!) the Packers won! It was the perfect dessert! It was nice to see Brett all the way over here!

All in all, I guess I just have a few closing remarks: I miss Cranberry Fluff. And corn flake potatoes. And finishing leftovers. And Ramen/Cabbage salad. And Black Friday!!! For the first time in many years, I slept in past 4 a.m.! Well, actually, I was up here at 9, which means technically in my home time zone I was awake at 3. And I bought a shirt from our School Boutique, so I at least feel like I participated! Hope the sales were great!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: